Website State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
Visit our Careers page for more information on our benefits , locations and the process of joining the State Farm team!
State Farm is offering a Counsel opportunity within the Litigation Section of the Corporate Law Department, located in State Farm’s corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois. Our Law Department employees are challenged, committed, and empowered. At State Farm, we help one another grow professionally and personally. It is part of who we are and have been since 1922. Located in Bloomington, IL, this position is classified as a hybrid role, meaning that the work arrangement calls for hours in the office and virtually. Everyone in a hybrid role is required to spend some time in the office. Work arrangements could change over time based on business needs.
The primary focus of the Litigation Counsel position is to supervise litigation brought against State Farm entities and/or handle discovery issues. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with outside counsel on formulating litigation strategies for bad faith, class action, and various other types of litigation
- Assist in trial preparation and preparing company witnesses for depositions and other testimony
- Attend trials and provide trial reports to relevant business units, Law Department management, and colleagues
- Develop budgets for litigation matters and related projects
- Provide legal advice to appropriate representatives of the State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its affiliatesAnalyze legal problems and interpret laws and regulations
- Analyze legal matters and/or litigation resolution in creative ways
- Serve as a resource for the organization on complex issues
- Responding to written discovery requests (interrogatories, document requests, and requests for admission) in state and federal court litigation
- Preparing and executing discovery strategies
- Preparing to defend depositions of corporate representatives
- Review dispositive pleadings and other briefing prepared by outside counsel
- Help identify a diverse bench of outside counsel in jurisdictions across the United States
- Collaborating with other areas across the Corporate Law Department in to manage legal risk
- Advising on meet and confer sessions
At State Farm, our mission is to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams.
- Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school and excellent academic credentials
- Active law license to practice law in at least on state and a member in good standing of the bar
- Must be able to obtain a limited license if IL if not already appropriately licensed in IL
- Attorney with 5+ years of litigation experience
- Advanced knowledge of legal principles and practices related to litigation
- Leadership and management skills
- Experience with class action, MDL, bad faith, and litigation matters strongly preferred
- Experience with eDiscovery issues preferred
- Proactive mindset, anticipates and responds effectively to client’s needs, and actively assists clients by practicing preventative law
- Commitment to providing quality legal advice, learning agility (included demonstrated willingness to develop expertise in new subject matters), and a history of enthusiastic participation in a team environment
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work opportunity
- Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or his designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work
- Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
- Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
- May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of work
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.