Website State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
In-House Auto Claim Counsel
Job ID: 2024-35517
Type: Regular Full Time
# of Openings: 1
Category: Legal, Compliance, and Risk Management
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
Visit our Careers page for more information on our benefits (https://jobs.statefarm.com/employee-benefits), locations (https://jobs.statefarm.com/office-locations) and the process (https://jobs.statefarm.com/employment-process) of joining the State Farm team!
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, a Fortune 50 company, is offering an opportunity to join its in-house counsel Law Department as Auto Claim Counsel (ACC). This position, located at State Farm’s Corporate Headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois, is classified as a hybrid role, meaning that the work arrangement calls for hours in the office and virtually. Everyone in a hybrid role is required to spend the majority of time in the office. Work arrangements could change over time based on business needs.
The primary focus of the ACC position is to provide legal advice on issues associated with the creation, implementation, and interpretation of auto insurance policies issued to our policyholders. We are a resource for the Property-Casualty Claims business area, providing legal advice to support claim handling activities. We collaborate with others within the enterprise by providing legal advice to assist with drafting auto insurance policies, by explaining or by educating our internal business areas about auto insurance policies, and by reviewing auto claims-related legislation as well as appellate briefs in insurance coverage-related litigation. In part the attorney selected will:
- Demonstrate an interest and acumen in drafting policy language, analyzing coverage, interpreting statutes and regulations governing auto insurance policies, analyzing issues related to injury, property, subrogation, medical management, medical privacy, and other claims related topics.
- Provide legal advice to appropriate representatives of the State Farm companies.
- Provide legal advice on behalf of the State Farm companies.
- Analyze legal problems and interpret laws and regulations.
- Possess knowledge of company structure and general departments.
- Display advanced knowledge of legal principles and practices related to the subject matter of the attorney’s area of practice.
- Anticipate and respond effectively to business areas’ needs and actively assist business areas by practicing preventative law.
- Demonstrate the ability to be creative in approaching legal matters.
- Act as an established resource for the State Farm companies on complex issues.
#LI-RC1 #SFPL PM22
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school and excellent academic credentials.
- Active license to practice law in at least one state and be a member in good standing of the bar.
- Must be able to obtain a limited license in IL if not already appropriately licensed in IL.
- Attorney with 5+ years of Personal Injury experience including jury trial experience is preferred.
- Commitment to providing high quality legal advice, learning agility, and a history of enthusiastic participation in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Proactive mindset-the ability to anticipate and respond effectively to business areas’ needs and actively assists business areas by practicing preventative law.
- Strong analytical skills as well as the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally with both internal business areas and outside counsel.
- Ability to read, interpret, and advise on policy language, insurance code statutes, regulations, bulletins, and accompanying case law.
- Ability to apply the law to claim facts and provide effective counsel that is meaningful to the business area.
- Must have a record of professionalism, civility, and ethical behavior. Candidates are required to comply with all applicable law, regulations, and codes of conduct.
- Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work opportunity.
- Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or her designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work.
- Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm.
- Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities.
- May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of work.
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.