State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
We are not just offering a job but a meaningful career! Come join our passionate team!
As a Fortune 50 company, we hire the best employees to serve our customers, making us a leader in the insurance and financial services industry. State Farm embraces diversity and inclusion to ensure a workforce that is engaged, builds on the strengths and talents of all associates, and creates a Good Neighbor culture.
We offer competitive benefits and pay with the potential for an annual financial award based on both individual and enterprise performance. Our employees have an opportunity to participate in volunteer events within the community and engage in a learning culture. We offer programs to assist with tuition reimbursement, professional designations, employee development, wellness initiatives, and more!
Visit our Careers page for more information on our benefits , locations and the process of joining the State Farm team!
State Farm is offering a Counsel opportunity within the Tax, Reinsurance, and Financial Counseling unit of the Corporate Law Department, located in State Farm’s corporate headquarters in Bloomington, Illinois. Our Law Department employees are challenged, committed, and empowered. At State Farm, we help one another grow professionally and personally. It is part of who we are and have been since 1922.
The Tax, Reinsurance, and Financial Counseling unit counsels on federal, state, local, and international tax matters. The primary focus of the Counsel position in this unit is to advise on insurance tax, general corporate tax issues, tax and ERISA issues concerning State Farm benefit programs, and all financial services and products offered by State Farm. This unit also acts in a counseling role, advising on international tax issues, acquisitions, and reinsurance matters, and provides support for State Farm’s advanced life markets area including estate planning and financial counseling issues. In part the individual selected will:
• Provide legal advice related to federal and state audits and other controversy work
• Advise on tax compliance
• Provide legal advice on issues involving mergers and acquisitions and various company transactions including reinsurance and federal and state tax credits
• Provide legal advice to appropriate representatives of the State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its affiliates
• Provide legal services on behalf of the State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company and its affiliates
• Analyze legal problems and interpret laws and regulations
• Approach legal matters and/or litigation resolution in creative ways
• Serve as a resource for the organization on complex issues
• Law degree and excellent academic credentials from an ABA accredited law school required
• Must have active license to practice law in at least one state and a member in good standing of the bar
• Must be able to obtain a limited license if not already appropriately licensed in IL
• Attorney with 3+ years of federal and state corporate income tax experience preferably with a medium to large size law firm, national office of prominent accounting firm, or corporate legal department
• Experience with various company transactions including mergers and acquisitions, reinsurance, and tax credits
• Commitment to providing quality legal advice, learning agility (including a demonstrated willingness to develop expertise in new subject matters), and a history of enthusiastic participation in a team environment
• Applicants are required to be eligible to lawfully work in the U.S. immediately; employer will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work opportunity
• Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work
• Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
• Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
• May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work
• This position is classified as a hybrid role, meaning that the work arrangement calls for hours in the office and virtually. Everyone in a hybrid role is required to spend some time in office. Work arrangements could change over time based on business needs.
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.