CTA - Labor and Employment Division
Provides professional legal support to attorneys in CTA’s Labor and Employment Division by providing legal research, gathering information, reviewing documents, drafting legal communications, and assisting in file preparation for hearings and trials. Assigned to midlevel and complex litigation matters in state and federal court.
- Assist Attorneys with federal and state court litigation, including class action cases. Gathers documents, conducts e-discovery searches, conducts legal research, searches CTA databases, drafts discovery responses, drafts subpoenas, makes copies, abstracts depositions, redacts confidential matters, maintains privilege and production logs, and assists at trial.
- Provides support to Attorneys for arbitrations, administrative charges, and unfair labor practice charges. Draft responses to administrative charges and unfair labor practice charges. Gathers documents and information necessary for cases, organizes exhibit binders, and makes copies.
- Makes deliveries to courts, agencies, and law firms. Files documents at the various courts and administrative agencies.
- Locates witnesses and arrange witness appearances for proceedings.
- Attend public bid openings and review related contracts.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or a paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited institution, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Three years’ experience as a Paralegal, Labor and/or Employment preferred or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience conducting thorough legal research and preparing discovery responses and other legal documents.
- Must be a Commissioned Notary Public within ninety (90) days of employment in this position.
- Moderate physical effort required.
- Exposed to weather conditions when traveling to various locations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Familiar with legal terminology and court procedures.
- Proficient in performing standard and non-standard discovery tasks.
- Possess the proper disposition and temperament to maintain amicable working relations with various levels of personnel within the Law Department and throughout the Authority.
- Ability to abstract and summarize complex documents and transcripts.
- Knowledge of how to properly prepare and serve a subpoena for deposition or trial.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel,Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Usual office working conditions.
- Required to travel between CTA headquarters and other downtown and CTA field locations on a regular basis.
- Travel to other locations also is required, including the state and federal courts in Chicago.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
- Computer, telephone, scanner, fax, trial visual aids, on-line legal research, document management software, and litigation support software.