Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is a Chicago-based intellectual property law firm with over 85 attorneys, highly qualified patent agents, and technical specialists, all dedicated to providing superior intellectual property counseling. We specialize in all areas of intellectual property law and in obtaining patents and trademark registrations for our clients in the United States and foreign patent and trademark offices. We are currently seeking a talented individual to join our electrical engineering and computer science practice group as a Patent Agent or Technical Specialist. The right individual will have:
- Strong academic credentials (GPA 3.0 or higher), which should minimally include a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science. Advanced degrees are a significant plus.
- At least two years of hardware and/or software work experience.
- Understanding of e-commerce systems, financial systems, mobile phone apps, communications systems, and/or process control systems is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills–both written and verbal—and exceptional organizational skills.
Responsibilities will include:
- Interviewing inventors to learn about new ideas to be patented. Our clients include some of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced companies.
- Preparing patent applications, which includes drafting technical descriptions and figures of describing the inventions.
- Corresponding with the U.S. Patent Trademark Office to seek issuance of a patent. This includes amending claims of the patent application, as well as analyzing patents and other publications relating to electrical engineering inventions.
- Prior legal experience is not required, but eventual registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (if not already established) will be expected.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior practitioners, assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, require a significant degree of autonomy.
Compensation for this position includes an annual salary of $80,000 +, along with customary benefits and opportunities to earn significant bonuses. Customary benefits include:
- Group Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee and Dependent Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Accident and Critical Illness Plans
- Short-Term Disability Program
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(K), Profit Sharing and Vesting
- Pre-Tax Transportation Plan
- Identify Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Child, Adult, and Elder Care
- Stipend and Interest Free Loan Program
- Moving Expenses
- Bar Fees and Related Expenses
- Continuing Legal Education
- Holiday and Paid Time Off
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a business-casual atmosphere and provides ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues at monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, and out-of-office functions throughout the year. Patent Agents and Technical Specialists are also provided a generously sized private office and a culture that offers great work-life balance. Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a curriculum vitae, transcripts and writing samples to Ms. Michele J. Gudaitis at email@example.com.