Website Office of Executive Inspector General for the Agencies of the Illinois Governor
Posting Date: May 25, 2021
Posting Close Date: June 15, 2021
Starting Salary Range: $5,417.00 to $7,083.50 Monthly
POSITION SUMMARY: Under management direction of the Deputy Inspector General and/or Deputy Inspector General and Chief, serves as Assistant Inspector General. The incumbent is responsible for drafting final summary reports for investigative cases conducted by the Office of Executive Inspector General (OEIG) under the auspices of the State Officials and Employees Ethics Act, conducting or assisting with research relating to legal, investigative, disciplinary, and other relevant issues. This position involves working with information of an extremely sensitive and confidential nature associated with investigations and legal proceedings.
- Responsible for drafting final summary reports for investigative cases. Final summary reports include: documentation of allegations, investigative steps taken, evidence adduced, analyses of ethical and legal implications, findings and recommendations for appropriate action.
- Assists in conducting research relating to legal, investigative, labor, disciplinary and other relevant issues under statutes, rules and regulations.
- Drafts legal memoranda summarizing research.
- Assists Investigators in development of investigative plans.
- Provides legal guidance and resolution of legal issues that arise during investigations. Prepares subpoenas and assists other OEIG legal staff in research.
- Interviews subjects, eyewitnesses and various other parties regarding information to gather, verify, and/or corroborate evidence.
- Ensures compliance with internal and external reporting and other statutory obligations by maintaining case logs, providing input on monthly reports, investigative status reports, and reviewing responses and other documents stemming from the issuance of founded reports.
- Assists in investigating and issuing revolving door determinations and reviewing the state’s hiring practices to ensure compliance with state and federal hiring practices.
- Directs the preparation of case files. Reviews pleadings and testifies before administrative judicatory bodies. Attends hearings before the EEC. Draft briefs and provides oral arguments before the EEC as required.
- Assists law enforcement authorities.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
REPORTS TO: Deputy Inspector General and/or Deputy Inspector General and Chief
SUBORDINATE POSITIONS: None
- graduation from an accredited law school;
- successful completion of the Uniform Bar Examination or license to practice law in the United States;
- admittance to Illinois State Bar within one year of acceptance of an AIG positions;
- prior legal experience in the area of ethics, criminal or labor/employment law is desirable;
- ability to balance multiple concurrent priorities;
- high ethical standards and the ability to work with sensitive and confidential materials;
- ability to travel, including overnight;
- flexibility to work independently and in a team environment;
- excellent interpersonal, analytical, research, writing, organizational, and communication skills; and
- demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook) and internet applications.
JOB STATUS: Full-time, FLSA exempt. This position is also exempt from the State of Illinois Personnel Code.
PHYSICAL FACTORS: Duties are generally performed in an office setting and typically includes:
- sitting for extended periods of time;
- using personal computer, photocopier, facsimile, telephone, and teleconference equipment;
- handling and transporting documents weighing up to 30 lbs.; and
- standing, reaching, and bending at the waist or bending of the legs.
LOCATION: The position is located in our Chicago office at 69 W. Washington Street.
HOW TO APPLY:
(The OEIG is a non-code state agency)
Applicants should select the employment tab on our website at www.inspectorgeneral.illinois.gov and click the “apply for open position” link and follow the instructions for applying.
The OEIG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit www2.illinois.gov.