Nixon Peabody LLP
At Nixon Peabody, our priority is to attract, retain, and promote talented individuals from a wide range of racial, ethnic, social, economic, religious, and personal backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations. Therefore, we encourage talented individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Our Private Clients Practice Group is seeking to hire a non-partner track Department Attorney with at least five years of experience. Location is flexible.
The primary responsibilities for this position will be estate and trust administration, including managing New York State Surrogate Court filings in connection with the probate of estates and settlement of trusts, preparation of state and federal estate tax returns, and preparation of estate and trust accountings. The ideal candidate will have experience representing high net worth individuals, and extensive experience with trust and estate administration. An L.L.M. degree is a plus.
Our nationally recognized Private Clients lawyers partner with individuals, families and business owners to craft their estate plans and achieve their wealth management goals. The team develops and implements practical planning solutions geared to protect our clients, minimize taxes and preserve businesses and wealth through multiple generations. Please visit our website to learn more about who we are and what we do: https://www.nixonpeabody.com/en/work/private-clients-estate-trust-financial-planning
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Assist with all aspects of the administration of estates.
· Preparation of probate documents and miscellaneous court documents relating to probate court administration of estates and trusts.
· Communication (in person, by telephone and in writing) with clients to obtain information required for probate and estate administration; communication with banks, businesses, insurance companies, brokerage firms, and others to collect asset information or information to collect assets and/or liquidate assets.
· Preparation and transmittal of all necessary papers to transfer securities.
· Preparation and filing of claims for insurance proceeds and death benefits.
· Preparation and allowance of accounts in the probate court; preparation of trust accountings.
· Preparation of federal and state estate tax returns.
· Opening and closing estate accounts.
· Other responsibilities as client needs dictate.
· Experience in probate matters, including drafting petitions and settlement of accounts.
· Experience preparing federal and state estate tax returns.
· Experience with trust administration, including the calculation and funding of trust shares.
· Working knowledge of fiduciary income tax.
· Excellent organizational, communication, analytical and critical thinking skills.
· Ability to work independently, plan and take the initiative to accomplish objectives in a timely manner.
· Client service skills and ability to manage projects and handle multiple competing priorities.
A career at Nixon Peabody is the opportunity to do work that matters. It’s a chance to use your knowledge to shape what’s ahead. To share, to innovate, to learn at a firm that taps the power of collective thinking.
To apply for this job please visit www.nixonpeabody.com.