Organic Chemistry Patent Agent
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is a Chicago-based intellectual property law firm having over 85 attorneys, highly qualified patent agents, and technical specialists, all dedicated to providing superior intellectual property counseling. We specialize in prosecution and litigation in all areas of intellectual property law. We litigate nationwide, primarily within the federal court system, and obtain patents and trademark registrations for our clients in the United States and foreign patent and trademark offices.
We are currently seeking a Patent Agent for our Chemistry practice group. The right individual will have:
- At least three years of experience as a patent agent or technical specialist with a law firm or corporation.
- Strong academic credentials, which should minimally include an advanced degree in Organic Chemistry, doctorates are preferred. Candidates should have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to grasp new technical teachings quickly.
- Ability to efficiently review patent and non-patent literature for key concepts.
- Registration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Interviewing inventors to learn about new ideas to be patented. Our clients include some of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced companies.
- Preparing patent applications, which includes drafting technical descriptions describing the inventions.
- Advocating for our clients before the U.S. Patent Trademark Office to seek issuance of a patent. This includes writing claims for the patent application, as well as analyzing patents and other publications relating to chemical inventions.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior practitioners, assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, require a significant degree of autonomy.
Compensation for this position for candidates having three years of experience as a patent agent, includes an annual salary of $100,000+, along with customary benefits and opportunities to earn significant bonuses. Customary benefits include:
- Group Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee and Dependent Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Accident and Critical Illness Plans
- Short-Term Disability Program
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(K), Profit Sharing and Vesting
- Pre-Tax Transportation Plan
- Identify Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Child, Adult, and Elder Care
- Stipend and Interest Free Loan Program
- Moving Expenses
- Bar Fees and Related Expenses
- Continuing Legal Education
- Holiday and Paid Time Off
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a culture with great work-life balance in a business-casual atmosphere. Ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues is encouraged and enjoyed at virtual happy hours and firm-wide GoToMeeting or Zoom events. In addition, we look forward to the return of our monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, social gatherings, and out-of-office functions when circumstances permit.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a curriculum vitae, transcripts and writing samples to Michele J. Gudaitis.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com