Website Law Center for Better Housing
LCBH is currently hiring 1-2 attorneys to work with the Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt Early Resolution Program (ERP) and City of Chicago Right to Counsel (RTC) Pilot Project. The ERP provides free legal advice and counseling to help tenants facing eviction to negotiate settlements and the RTC will provide extended representation in those cases where negotiation does not result in a settlement. One attorney position will also work with the Illinois Access to Justice program. These are full-time, exempt positions.
· Provide legal advice and brief services to renters.
· Coordinate with rental assistance programs, supportive services, mediation, and other programs to connect renters with the resources necessary to preserve their housing.
· Engage in all aspects of litigation: intake interviews; charting case strategy; drafting pleadings, motions, and discovery; interviewing and preparing witnesses; and conducting discovery and investigation.
· Defend renters in eviction court in both bench and jury trials.
· Participate in community legal education projects.
· Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and affinity for legal aid work.
· Licensed in Illinois (including July 2023 bar passage but awaiting admission) or eligible for admission through reciprocity. We anticipate posting for Fall 2024 by January 2024 and will not consider Fall 2024 applicants now.
· Ideal candidate will have participated in a law school clinic or internships with legal aid organizations or will have engaged in other work that builds judgment in working with individuals in crisis.
· We will give a preference to candidates bilingual in Spanish, Polish, Korean, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, or ASL.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org