Website Illinois Student Assistance Commission
The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney who will act as legal counsel on assigned legal matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft grant agreements and responses to requests for legal opinions on matters pertaining to State grants and scholarships administered by ISAC.
- Draft legal opinions on matters pertaining to higher education data and privacy concerns.
- Research and draft agency administrative rules.
- Review agency contracts and conduct research pertaining to the state’s procurement code and any legal matters pertaining to agency’s procurement needs and contract requirements.
- Attend open meetings and draft meeting minutes.
- Participate in ISAC’s Administrative Hearings, as requested by defaulted student loan borrowers, schools, scholarship and grant applicants and recipients.
- Advise supervising attorney of any unique circumstances in Petitioner’s evidence that warrant further inquiry.
- Correspond with borrowers to negotiate payments and settlements within legal limits.
- Provide financial analysis for complex accounts.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor (J.D) law license.
- A minimum of 5 years of practice in higher education, litigation and/or administrative law.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent research skills.
- Proficient Computer Skills including Microsoft Office Applications.
- Familiarity with the Illinois Compiled Statutes, Illinois Code of Civil Procedure, Illinois Rules of Court, Illinois Privacy Acts, and the Illinois Procurement Code.
- Knowledge of the NSLDS, and ISAC’s Proprietary Computer systems.
- Knowledge of federal and state statutes as well as federal rules and state regulations relating to grant, scholarship, and loan programs.
- Knowledge of ISAC scholarship, grant, and loan programs as well as the operations and procedures of the Business and Financial Services Division (default prevention, collection, etc.).
Be part of our great mission helping Illinois students attend college! Visit us at www.isac.org.
For consideration, please submit your resume ISAC.Recruiting@illinois.gov.
ISAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas at this time.
To apply for this job please visit recruiter.isac.org.