Website Illinois Student Assistance Commission
The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is seeking a Deputy General Counsel. This position will report directly to ISAC’s General Counsel who reports directly to ISAC’s Executive Director. The Deputy General Counsel will be expected to autonomously complete high quality legal assignments and provide advice on legal matters in ISAC’s Office of the General Counsel, which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interpretation and development of legislation and administrative rules.
- Development and review of policies and procedures related to agency operations and personnel practices.
- Contract Administration: Drafting and reviewing vendor and employment contracts, licenses, intergovernmental and shared data agreements.
- Grant administration: Drafting Grant agreements, researching federal and state law and providing regulatory interpretations and advice to agency management and staff.
- Managing programs governed by federal laws, such as, the 529 Prepaid Tuition Program, federal student loans, the GEAR UP grant.
- Managing outside counsel in relation to financial transactions, such as bond administration, investments, intellectual property and employment law. Managing the in-house Assistant Attorney General who is responsible for the agency’s litigation and hearings.
- The Office of the General Counsel is also where the Procurement, Freedom of Information Act, Open Meetings Act, Ethics and Privacy Officer functions are administered.
The candidate for the Deputy General Counsel position must have the following qualifications:
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
Credentials: The candidate must be licensed to practice law in Illinois and be in good standing with the Illinois Bar and the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 7 years of experience practicing law at a law firm or as in-house counsel. Please note that there are no litigation responsibilities associated with this position.
- Governmental experience is preferred.
- Management and training experience is a plus.
Experience must include at a minimum the following:
Drafting or reviewing agreements; researching law and writing legal opinions; providing advice to clients, or in-house management.
This position will be responsible for assuming duties in the absence of the General Counsel and has strong growth possibilities. The candidate must demonstrate leadership qualities, which include, but are not limited to, a willingness to assume high level responsibility, the ability to work independently and take ownership of assignments and to confidently provide advice to high level management and agency commissioners.
Be part of our great mission helping Illinois students attend college! Visit us at www.isac.org.
For consideration, please submit your resume to: ISAC.Recruiting@illinois.gov
ISAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas at this time.
To apply for this job email your details to ISAC.Recruiting@illinois.gov