Website Illinois Department of Public Health
Responsibilities: The State of Illinois Department of Public Health is seeking a mid-level to senior attorney with experience or interest in health law or health care regulation for the position of Deputy General Counsel. This is an exciting opportunity to engage in crucially important work promoting health equity and assisting the State in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Deputy General Counsel advises the General Counsel, Director, Chief of Staff, and various programs and boards on legal issues related to the administration of state and federal laws pertaining to public health, health care facility licensing and regulation, and various agency functions. The Deputy General Counsel will be required to:
- Provide primary legal strategy on matters relating to the regulation of health information, registries, vital records, clinical research and medical studies;
- Provide guidance and oversight regarding personnel and labor matters;
- Serve as the agency’s Ethics Officer, including review of complaints and investigative referrals made to or from the Office of the Executive Inspector General (OEIG) and conducting or supervising investigations and providing recommendations to the General Counsel;
- Provide oversight and guidance on Freedom of Information (FOIA) requests as it relates to the disclosure of public records and in concert with relevant public health laws and regulations;
- Provide legal services to the Department’s programs for emergency preparedness, communicable diseases, and food, drug and dairies;
- Draft and review contracts, policies, and interagency agreements and advise on the Procurement Code, where applicable; and,
- Provide legal advice and guidance as it pertains to the promulgation of administrative rules.
The Deputy General Counsel reports to the General Counsel and has supervisory responsibilities for other attorneys.
Requirements: Requires completion of law school, possession of a license to practice law in Illinois, and prior experience equivalent to four or more years of progressively responsible administrative experience in the practice of law. Requires thorough knowledge of common laws, federal and state laws, and regulations pertaining to public health or other health and human services regulatory programs; extensive knowledge of judicial and quasi-judicial and administrative procedures and the rules at all judicial levels; and extensive knowledge of legal methods, practice and procedures. Requires working knowledge of principles of management, including organization controls and techniques used in dealing with management and procedural problems. Requires ability to plan, layout, coordinate and review the work of a technical or legal program or units and ability to draft complex and technical legal documents.
Application Process: Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume indicating “Deputy General Counsel” in the subject line directly to the email address below. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Carla Finley, HR Specialist
Illinois Department of Public Health – HR Department
535 W. Jefferson Street, 4th Floor
Springfield, IL 62761
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com