Illinois Appellate Court, Fourth District
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Chambers of the Honorable Amy C. Lannerd
Fourth District Appellate Court
Judge Amy C. Lannerd has been assigned to the Fourth District Illinois Appellate Court, effective December 5, 2022. She is seeking a judicial secretary/law clerk for her chambers in Quincy, Illinois. The judicial secretary/law clerk conducts legal research and assists in drafting memoranda, opinions, and orders. This position also requires performing various administrative duties. The position will permit some remote work; however, working completely on a remote basis is not preferred.
· Conduct legal research and prepare memoranda providing legal and procedural advice.
· Assist in drafting opinions, orders, and memoranda.
· Edit and cite check final draft orders, opinions, dissents and/or special concurrences.
· Advise the Justice on research of court rules and points of law on pending appeals.
· Research the law regarding issues identified by the parties or the court.
· Study current legal publications, recent opinions of the Illinois Supreme and Appellate Courts, and other relevant state and federal cases; interpret new statutes according to
legislative intent and review recent legislation.
· Assist the Justice in her committee work.
· Assist the Justice in preparation for an educational conference or speaking engagement.
· The position also requires sharing administrative duties with the other clerks, including but not limited to, corresponding with the Springfield courthouse and other chambers, tracking the status of motions and cases, paying bills, maintaining case files, and keeping the library up to date. The successful applicant must have the ability to comport oneself in a manner which is cognizant of the Court’s ethical responsibilities.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Working knowledge of, and ability to apply, federal and state laws and court decisions to pending legal cases.
2. Working knowledge of, and ability to apply, court procedures and rules of evidence.
3. Skill in providing legal research and preparing memorandum of law providing legal and procedural advice.
4. Skill in analyzing legal issues and writing persuasively.
5. Skill in applying legal principles and specialized knowledge to individual cases and problems.
6. Ability to communicate effectively.
7. Ability to apprise the Justice of new statutes and recent legislation changes.
8. Associates with employees and the public in a pleasant, courteous, and helpful manner.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must be a licensed attorney and admitted to the Illinois bar. Law Review/journal experience is preferred. Preference will be given to those with prior experience as a judicial law clerk and/or appellate lawyer or as a legal practitioner, but all applicants with an outstanding academic record and superior research and writing skills will be considered. Excellent computer and technology skills required.
This position requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. This is a professional office working environment requiring telephone usage and the ability to process and read large volumes of written documents in electronic formats.
Applicant must possess the ability to travel throughout the state, including overnight stays as required. This position requires a valid driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance to operate a personal vehicle on state business, and a safe driving record. Applicant may be required to submit additional materials and/or complete job specific tests for the position.
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest, resume, professional writing sample, a transcript of law school grades, and 3 references to:
Honorable Amy Lannerd
Illinois Appellate Court, Fourth Distri ct
This position will remainopenuntilfilled.However,thoseindividualssubmittingmaterialsby
November 14, 2022, will be given first consideration.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit www.illinoiscourts.gov.