Website Cook County Bureau of Human Resources
Characteristics of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Senior Labor Liaison Officer acts as a liaison with union representatives on behalf of County management during contract negotiations and documents proceedings. Assists Senior Labor Liaison Officer with collective bargaining issues, coordinates and attends meetings to, and assists in the compilation of County negotiation proposals. Documents all management and union negotiation proposals, maintains control of all tentative agreements in negotiations, and works with counsel and union representatives to compile the union contracts. Prepares union contracts and wage scales for Board approval. Directs and coordinates implementation of wage components with appropriate County departments and offices as necessary. Provides assistance to Labor Counsel, the Assistant State’s Attorney outside counsel, union representatives and other entities regarding various labor related issues including wage scale and rate implementation, contract implementation, and dues deductions. Maintains databases, records, and information from past grievance files, personnel records, salary grades of specific union job classifications and previous union labor agreement information. Consults with Senior Labor Liaison Officer and counsel in matters of highest confidentiality and effectively recommends policy changes and courses of action in connection therewith.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs research activities in conjunction with the Senior Labor Officer when necessary, related to contract negotiations for Deputy Chief of Human Resources/Director of Labor Relations, Labor Counsels, union representatives and individual County employees, whenever necessary.
- Participates in collective bargaining negotiations as a representative for the County; collects and maintains control of proposals and tentative agreements.
- Assists the Labor Relations Department staff with grievance resolution and CBA disputes.
- Conducts liaison activities between management and labor union representatives in order to identify and resolve disputes or contractual discrepancies.
- May serve as informational resource for union contract negotiations by conducting research and furnishing reference documents and statistical data to the management negotiating team.
- As directed by the Senior Labor Liaison Officer, assists in the resolution of unfair labor practice charges and arbitration cases.
- As directed by the Senior Labor Liaison Officer assists with the implementation of terms and conditions of collective bargaining agreements; works closely with County departments, including Comptroller, Budget office, MIS, Human Resources to implement cost of living adjustments, reclassifications and salary upgrades, and other economic matters. Monitors and coordinates the timely preparation of Resolutions for the County Board and Health and Hospital System Board for approval of wages and contracts.
- Prepares resolutions for the County Board and Cook County Health and Hospital System Board for approval of wages and contracts. Receives and reviews correspondence from various trade organizations regarding annual trade rate changes including prevailing rate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly and effectively grasp and utilize County policies, protocols and technical vernacular used throughout each union labor agreement for the County.
- Knowledge of all Cook County labor relations functions, principles, techniques, contract terminology, office practices and procedures
- Thorough knowledge of business communication principles and techniques, contract terminology, office practices and procedures relative to labor relations.
- Skill in resolving labor/management contractual negotiation disputes.
- Skill in scrutinizing text of contractual labor agreements.
- Skill in the use of the art of diplomacy and confidentiality with arbitrators, attorneys, County employees, County managerial personnel and union representatives.
- Ability to conduct research functions for purposes of providing accurate documentation and statistical data for union contract negotiations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with tact and courtesy and to conduct oneself in a professional manner. Good communication skills; ability to gather information from others and make inquiries; ability to convey information and explain or describe County policy and procedure to others in person or by telephone.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
Three (3) years’ work experience in Business Administration, Public Administration, Labor Relations, or related field.
An equivalent combination of professional work experience, training and education.
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Labor Relations, Juris Doctor or Paralegal Certificate.
Five (5) years’ work experience in Business or Public Administration, Labor Relations or related field.
Sedentary Work involves exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
The duties listed are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee’s normal line of work.
How do I apply?
Please submit a Cover letter and Resume to 118 N. Clark St., Room #840, Attn: Regina Crider. You can also email the two required documents to Regina.Crider@cookcountyil.gov. The position description can be found on the right side of this page under the Download option.
When are Resumes due?
Post Offer testing:
All new employees will be required to submit to a satisfactory drug test and background check, based on reports obtained from law enforcement authorities. The reports are based on results from fingerprints taken from all new hires.
To apply for this job email your details to Regina.Crider@cookcountyil.gov