Website Board of Education of the City of Chicago
Federal Litigation Defense
The Senior Assistant General Counsel primarily represents the Board and its agents in employment related litigation in federal court, as well as in administrative forums (e.g., EEOC, IDHR and HRC). The Senior Assistant General Counsel responsibilities include the following:
● Serving as primary counsel on cases in which the Board and/or CPS employees are named defendants;
● Provides direction and litigation strategy to less senior staff attorneys;
● Reviews and edits written work product; and
● Represents the Board during settlement conferences.
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, a Senior Assistant General Counsel must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education and License Required: Must be licensed to practice law and in good standing in the State of Illinois.
Type of Experience and Number of Years: Seven or more years of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Experience litigating employment related (e.g., Title VII, ADEA, ADA, etc.) and Civil Rights claims;
● Is a strong communicator;
● Possesses the ability to quickly analyze a problem/question and decide the level of importance and when higher level intervention is necessary;
● Capable of building trusting relationships and functioning effectively with Board agents whose decisions are being challenged in state and federal court;
● Possess organizational skills and the ability to manage numerous cases simultaneously under pressure and with limited supervision; and
● A demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, to expeditiously assess issues, and provide sound legal advice.
Residency requirement: Board employees are required to be actual residents of the City of Chicago within six months of beginning employment and are required to maintain residency during the course of their employment.
Non-discrimination/Equal Opportunity: The Board has a comprehensive non-discrimination policy and is an equal opportunity employer.
Application: Please submit a resume, a recent writing sample and three references.
To apply for this job please visit cps.edu.