Website Board of Education of the City of Chicago
Appellate Attorney at CPS
The Board of Education of the City of Chicago, also known as Chicago Public Schools (CPS), has set ambitious goals to ensure that every child, in every community, has access to a high quality education that prepares him or her for success in college and career.
CPS is seeking a Senior Assistant General Counsel to represent CPS and its agents in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and First District Appellate Court of Illinois. The Senior Assistant General Counsel will be the Board’s primary legal representative on appeals, including those involving allegations of wrongful death, serious injury, constitutional torts, employment discrimination and teacher discharge. The Senior Assistant General Counsel will have the opportunity to provide meaningful counsel to CPS leadership, informing policy decisions and resource allocation. The Senior Assistant General Counsel will have the following responsibilities:
1. Manage an active appellate caseload and exercise independent judgment on complex issues.
2. Manage outside counsel who handle appeals filed on behalf of the Board. 3. Provide client counseling, advice, guidance and support across a network of schools and departments.
4. Work cooperatively with supervisors, attorneys and staff within the Law Department.
5. Develop and maintain professional, client-centered and productive relationships with diverse group of CPS departments, schools and agents.
6. Demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, sound judgment, initiative, and strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
Type of Education and License Required: Juris Doctorate and Illinois license to practice law in good standing. Chicago residency within six (6) months of the start date is required.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses Experience in One or More of the Following: 5+ years appellate experience; excellent written work product; expertise in the Tort Immunity Act; experience before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the First District Appellate Court.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Significant prior experience handling appeals in state and federal court.
● Strong communication skills – writing, speaking and listening.
● Proven ability to manage a caseload with significant financial and/or reputational exposure.
● Self-motivated with an ability to build trusting relationships with diverse group of colleagues and clients.
● Strong organizational skills and ability to manage numerous cases and matters simultaneously under pressure.
● Ability to serve as a zealous advocate for CPS while concurrently maintaining the highest standards of integrity.
Application: Please submit resume, cover letter, three current professional references, and two recent writing samples (including an appellate brief).
To apply for this job please visit cps.edu.