Website City of Champaign
The City of Champaign seeks experienced candidates for the position of Assistant City Attorney in the Legal Department. In this position, you will join an in-house legal team that works closely with all City Departments in a wide variety of legal areas. The City has a Council-Manager form of government.
Responsibilities of Position
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: advising government officials regarding civil legal areas and areas of local government law; managing, evaluating, and trying cases, including ordinance enforcement, small claims, worker’s compensation, and civil defense; evaluating and preparing written legal opinions; preparing and reviewing legal documents, including those related to contracts, legislation, real estate and other areas of municipal regulation; contract development, review and negotiation, including labor negotiation; real estate transactional work; and supervising or managing employees.
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois.
• Superior interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Legal research expertise.
• Substantial recent experience in a broad range of municipal law or closely related governmental or civil matters, or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
• Experience negotiating or drafting contracts.
• Broad range of skills in real estate, real estate development and eminent domain.
• Experience in ordinance prosecution and/or other high volume litigation areas, such as collections.
• Litigation experience including civil or administrative litigation (including worker’s compensation) and civil appeals (not prosecution or small claims).
• In-house legal experience.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary range is $81,944 – $93,231, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter must be submitted online no later than Sunday, July 24, 2016.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com