Website Univ Counsel-UIUC
The Assistant or Associate University Counsel is a vital member of in-house legal team at the University of Illinois, serving primarily at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Under the direction of the Campus Legal Counsel, the Assistant or Associate University Counsel will be responsible for managing a high volume of complex legal matters and will provide timely and effective advice and counsel to various University units and personnel. #LI-CD1
Additional responsibilities include:
The Assistant/Associate University Counsel is expected to:
• Provide legal advice on a wide variety of issues that arise at a large public research university under the general supervision of the Campus Legal Counsel;
• Act as attorney for the University on a diverse range of legal subject matters, including serving as a generalist working in multiple areas of law and policy and as a specialist by developing skills related to specific and unique areas of law;
• Serve as point of contact for various units on behalf of the Office of University Counsel and represent the Office in a manner that promotes professionalism, collegiality, collaboration, confidence and mutual respect;
• Recognize issues that may require use of outside legal expertise and work with Campus Legal Counsel and other personnel to retain and supervise legal services vendors in a manner that maximizes efficiency, effectiveness and fiscal prudence;
• Anticipate potential legal issues and exercise reliable and well-reasoned judgment to provide advice and counsel in a manner that fosters sound decision-making;
• Keep colleagues and leadership, including Campus Legal Counsel, Deputy University Counsel and University Counsel, apprised of matters that may be a significant risk to the university or of significant interest to the Board of Trustees and/or senior administrators;
• Perform other professional functions associated with the provision of legal advice and services as directed, including serving on or providing counsel to various University committees and task forces.
• Particular to Associate Counsel: Support enterprise leadership in fostering team building and mentoring of less senior attorneys and staff.
• Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited Law School.
Knowledge and Experience:
Required: 1. Licensed attorney with demonstrable developing legal skills including preference for work in a university setting or other comparable in-house environment; Assistant Counsel: minimum three years of legal practice preferred; Associate Counsel: minimum five years of relevant legal practice. 2. Demonstrated success in progressive responsibilities, including attention to innovative problem solving, initiative and reliability. 3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with University, campus and other administrative units and personnel. 4. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. 5. Ability to work independently while effectively keeping supervisors, colleagues and clients informed and engaged. 6. Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to address difficult and complex issues 7. Strong interpersonal skills demonstrating courtesy, diplomacy and a collaborative approach that reflect a commitment to effective client service. 8. Particular to Associate Counsel: Demonstrated understanding of unique and often complex decision-making dynamics associated with working in University system and highly functioning in-house counsel office. Preferred: 1. Legal experience in higher education issues at a large research university, including but not limited to sponsored programs and research compliance, intellectual property, technology management, data privacy and security, and contracts review.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by 6 pm on 2/21/2023 or visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/employment.
System Human Resource Services
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/one.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=5705 to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the System Human Resource Services, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at 217-333-2600, or by emailing mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 9000445
Job Category: Academic Professional
Campus Location: Urbana
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3879498
To apply for this job please visit uisystemoffice.csod.com.