Website Acero Schools
Reports to: General Counsel/Chief Administrative Officer
Salary: Competitive Salary and Benefits
How to Apply: www.aceroschools.org/careers/
WE ARE ACERO
The Director of Labor Relations is responsible for serving as the lead on all labor relations matters, including coordinating the relationship between Acero Schools and its employees, implementing and administering the collective bargaining agreement with the Charter Division of the Chicago Teachers Union (“Union”), conducting investigations of network policy violations as well as discharge and disciplinary reviews, and supporting the daily functions of the Legal Department as directed by the General Counsel/Chief Administrative Officer.
JOIN OUR TEAM
- A team of problem solvers who find joy in developing solutions.
- A team of compliance driven individuals who contribute to, respect and serve in our communities.
- A team who embodies the values of achievement, community, excellence, resilience and optimism.
- Provide counsel and assist with all labor relations matters: Advise senior management and campus leadership on collective bargaining negotiations, contract implementation, contract interpretation and contract administration.
Serve as member of collective bargaining team in negotiations with Union.
Manage Acero Schools’ relationship with Union officers and field representatives.
Coordinate management responses to Union grievances relating to the administration of collective bargaining agreements.
Coordinate representation of Acero Schools in arbitration matters arising as a result of grievance procedures under collective bargaining agreements.
Conduct or oversee investigations of network policy violations.
Conduct discharge and disciplinary reviews for Union and non-Union staff in alignment with Acero Schools’ approach to performance management.
Advise network management and campus leadership on policies concerning wage, hours, and working conditions to ensure compliance with labor and employment law as well as collective bargaining agreements.
Promote active relationship management as a tool for dispute resolution and third-party avoidance.
Provide ongoing training to network administration and campus leadership as a means of proactive employee and labor relationship management.
- Support the Legal Department: Assist in management of legal department operations by developing, implementing, and monitoring metrics/client satisfaction measures. Serve as the designated FOIA Officer for Acero Schools. Execute special or strategic projects or initiatives as delegated by the General Counsel/Chief Administrative Officer.
- Believe in our ability to create the future we envision.
- Education: Juris Doctor (preferred)
- License to practice law in Illinois (preferred)
- Knowledge of labor relations and labor and employment laws, as applied to the educational field
- Knowledge of union contract administration and negotiation
- Experience in employee discipline and performance management
- Strong negotiation and communication skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Working knowledge of National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) complaint procedures
- Working knowledge of arbitration procedures
- Possess ability to establish performance metrics
- Experience in providing training
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word
- Ability to travel for business as required
- Must be authorized to work in the United States (required)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The nature of the work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files, and an ability to communicate and exchange information. Physical demands include the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, and walk around the classroom 60% of the day. In addition, candidates must be able to lift and/or push and pull 15 to 20 lbs. for short periods of time, and walk up and down stairs several times a day.
Majority of work is performed in a general school environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization-sponsored events and meetings.
NOTE: The foregoing list of essential duties and responsibilities is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Acero Schools is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals. Acero Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
To apply for this job please visit careers-aceroschools.icims.com.