Metra Job Posting
Title: Director, Litigation
Requisition Number: 641
Job Code: LAG19DirLtgt
Location: Metra Enterprise
Address: 547 W. Jackson Blvd.
Country: United States of America
Zip/Postal Code: 60661
FLSA Status: Exempt
Minimum Salary: $105,811.00
Salary Mid-Point: $132,263.50
Maximum Salary: $158,716.00
Posting Period: February 23, 2017 until March 9, 2017
Reporting directly to the Deputy General Counsel, the Director Litigation is responsible for ensuring the Litigation Division effectively oversees and represents Metra in state and federal courts, primarily in civil rights cases, Federal Employees Liability Act (FELA), and personal injury matters. Advises the Deputy General Counsel with respect to ongoing litigation and investigations that may lead to litigation. This position is issued a cellular phone. Employees may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Candidates can expect salary offers that range from the minimum to the mid-point of the salary range. Metra provides full pay ranges so candidate can consider their growth potential.
Metra is a railroad employer subject to the provisions of the Railroad Retirement Tax Act, not the Social Security Administration.
- Must possess a Juris Doctor (J.D.) Law Degree and an active member, in good standing, of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA).
- In addition to #1, must have a minimum of ten (10) years of litigation experience and expertise, including at least ten (10) jury trials to verdict.
- Must have five (5) years supervisory or management experience which includes hiring, disciplinary and/or termination, coaching, training, performance evaluation and monitoring, conflict resolution, mentoring legal staff and budget management.
- Exercise excellent independent legal judgment and discretion as case information is of a confidential and sensitive nature.
- Knowledge of FELA, personal injury and civil rights laws.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Familiar with other business-related software, e.g. Adobe, West Law, case management, or computer-based legal research portals.
- Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; with strong legal editing and analytical ability.
- Strong initiative and proven ability to effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel consistent with an applicable budget.
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful conditions under tight time constraints and evaluate risks.
- Maintain up-to-date understanding of litigation and laws to be able to interpret and offer advice to internal teams.
- Eligible or have certification from the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar.
- Possess all appropriate licenses and certifications as the Illinois Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court of Northern Illinois prescribe.
- Must be eligible for admission to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be willing to travel within and outside of Metra’s 6-county region.
- Must be available to work flexible hours in the early morning, late afternoon, evenings, or weekends.
- Outstanding negotiation and presentation skills highly desired.
To apply for this position please follow this link: