Website DePaul University
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Reporting to the Vice President and General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel II provides an array of legal services to the University. The attorney’s primary responsibilities will focus on higher education law with a specific focus on student issues. In addition, the Associate General Counsel II will have responsibility for advising on matters relating to campus safety, diversity, public policy, bankruptcy and subpoenas. The incumbent must anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the university.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Works on routine legal assignments.
- Drafts and revises contracts, including licenses, purchases, sales, and other matters.
- Gives legal advice to University departments and prepare appropriate briefs, forms, and documents for review.
- Manages the University’s response to subpoenas and bankruptcy matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- A JD from an ABA accredited law school.
- At least 3 to 5 years’ experience in the practice of law.
- Experience in the practice of law, with some combination of non-profit, education, or commercial law.
- Prior litigation and large firm experience.
Certifications & Licenses
- Must be licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois or obtain such license within one year of employment.
Other Skills & Abilities Required
- Demonstrated capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify and resolve complicated and sensitive problems creatively and with professional discretion.
- Ability to interact and function effectively in an academic community.
- Proficiency with basic office software programs including Microsoft Office.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
- Occasional weekend and evening work, as necessary.
- Infrequent out-of-state travel.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University’s mission. For more information, please visit hr.depaul.edu.
Required Background Check:
Employment at DePaul University is contingent on passing a background check. Only final candidates who are extended an offer of employment will undergo a background check.
Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect:
Upon accepting an offer of employment with the university, you will also be required to sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status at the time of hire. A mandated reporter is required to make a report to the Illinois DCFS Hotline whenever there is reasonable cause to believe that a child known to them in their professional or official capacity may be abused or neglected.
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
To apply for this job please visit pshr.depaul.edu.