Website University of Illinois
University of Illinois
Assistant/Associate University Counsel
The University of Illinois seeks an Assistant/ Associate University Counsel. The Assistant/Associate University Counsel is a vital member of an in-house legal team at the University of Illinois, serving primarily at the Urbana-Champaign campus. Under the direction of the Campus Legal Counsel, the Assistant/Associate University Counsel will have primary responsibility for the management of numerous legal matters and will provide timely and effective advice and counsel to various University units and personnel. Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide legal advice on a wide variety of issues that arise at a large research university under the general supervision of the Campus Legal Counsel;
- Act as attorney for the University on diverse range of legal subject matters, including serving as a generalist working in multiple areas of law and policy and as a specialist by developing skills related to specific and unique areas of law;
- Serve as point of contact for various units on behalf of Office of University Counsel and represent Office in a manner that promotes professionalism, collegiality, collaboration, confidence and mutual respect;
- Recognize issues that may require utilization of outside counsel and work with Campus Legal Counsel and other personnel to retain and supervise vendors in a manner that maximizes efficiency, effectiveness and fiscal prudence;
- Anticipate potential legal issues and exercise reliable and well-reasoned judgment to provide advice and counsel in a manner that fosters sound decision-making;
- Keep the Campus Legal Counsel apprised of matters that may be a significant risk to the university or of significant interest to the Board of Trustees and senior administrators.
- Perform other professional functions associated with the provision of legal advice and services as directed by the Campus Legal Counsel, including serving on or providing counsel to various University committees and task forces.
*The Associate Director will perform all of the above duties including supporting the Campus Legal Counsel and enterprise leadership in fostering team building and mentoring of less senior attorneys and staff.
Candidates must possess a Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school and be licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of Illinois, or eligible for admission to practice within six months of employment. Other required qualifications include: Six months or more significant legal experience, including preference for work in a higher education setting or other comparable in-house environment; excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with System, University and other administrative units and personnel; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to work independently while effectively keeping supervisors, colleagues and clients informed and engaged; excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to address difficult and complex issues; strong interpersonal skills demonstrating courtesy, diplomacy and a collaborative approach that reflect a commitment to effective client service; demonstrated understanding of unique and often complex decision-making dynamics associated with working in Office of University Counsel.
In order to qualify for the Associate level, in addition to the above requirements, must have five or more years’ significant legal experience, including preference for work in University setting or other comparable in-house environment and demonstrated success in progressive responsibilities, including attention to innovative problem solving, initiative and reliability.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by April 21, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Employee Relations and Human Resources
449 Henry Administration Building, MC 341
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. University Administration welcomes applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/ →