Website City of Chicago
The City of Chicago is a diverse organization and welcomes diverse applicants.
DEPARTMENT OF LAW –Assistant Corporation Counsel, Labor Division
Number of Vacancies: 1
The City of Chicago’s Law Department is seeking an attorney for the position of Assistant Corporation Counsel in the Labor Division to represent the City in employment cases filed at local, state, and federal agencies; in labor arbitrations and Illinois Labor Relations Board matters, and/or in disciplinary proceedings before arbitrators or the City Police and Human Resources Boards. The Assistant Corporation Counsel will work under the general supervision of the Senior Counsel, Chief Assistant Corporation Counsel, the Assistant Chief Labor Negotiator, and/or the Deputy of the Labor Division, and will be given significant responsibility for defending discrimination, harassment , and retaliation claims; handling labor arbitrations and Labor Board matters; handling proceedings before the City Police and Human Resources Boards; assisting in client counseling; and/or other labor and eemployment-relatedmatters.
The following information should not be considered exhaustive. Interested applicants should read the full posting found at www.cityofchicago.org/careers(Job Number: 1672-4011A-2017).
Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school with a Juris Doctor degree in or before 2016, and admission to the Illinois Bar (or eligible for admission on motion to the Illinois Bar pursuant to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 705).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Superior writing, research, analytical, and editing skills;
- Exceptional client counseling skills;
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail;
- The ability to work well with others;
- The ability to exhibit leadership and initiative on assigned tasks;
- The ability to organize, prioritize, monitor, and control workflow deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong commitment to public service; and
- Experience litigating cases and/or handling discipline cases, labor arbitrations, Labor Board cases, and/or employment discrimination cases (e.g., Title VII, ADA, ADEA, or FMLA) preferred, but not required.
Application Process and Materials
There is a two-step application process for this position. All application materials are due on or before October 20, 2017.
Step One: You must submit an on-line application along with your resume at www.cityofchicago.org/careers by October 20, 2017.
Step Two: In addition to the on-line application, and regardless of whether such materials were uploaded with your on-line application, the following materials must be submitted in hard copy to City of Chicago Department of Law’s Legal Recruiter, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 1640, Chicago, IL 60602:
- Cover letter that (1) includes the position title and job number as noted on the posting; and (2) specifically identifies how you meet the minimum qualifications and have the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below;
- Law school transcript (official or unofficial);
- Two writing samples; and
- Current printout of your attorney registration status from the Illinois ARDC website at www.iardc.org (or your admitted state bar’s equivalent).
Failure to submit all materials will result in your application not being considered for the position.
NOTE REGARDING SUBMISSION OF MATERIALS: The foregoing materials must be submitted in person (interoffice delivery of application materials will not be accepted) or received via U.S. Mail or another similar mailing method (e.g., FedEx, UPS, DHL) at the address noted above on or before October 20, 2017; late submissions shall result in your application not being considered for the position. Should you wish to confirm receipt of your materials, please use a traceable delivery method.
NOTE REGARDING ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: Please do not submit references with your hard copy materials. Please do not send to us any materials other than those we have specifically requested above. Submission of references and/or additional materials with your hard copy materials other than what is specifically requested above shall result in your application not being considered for the position.
Please note that the submission deadline for BOTH the online application and the hard-copy materials is October 20, 2017.
NOTE REGARDING QUESTIONS: If you have any questions regarding how to apply, please contact the Department of Human Resources. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, the Recruiting and Personnel Sections in the Department of Law are not able to take or return emails or phone calls seeking any information pertaining to the position or the process. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Chicago Department of Law.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http:// www.cityofchicago.org/careers →