Website City of Chicago
The City of Chicago’s Law Department is seeking an attorney for the position of Assistant Corporation Counsel III in its Appeals Division. The Appeals Division handles all appellate matters for the City and appears in the Illinois Appellate Court, Illinois Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and U.S. Supreme Court. Attorneys in this Division are responsible for briefing and, with rare exceptions, arguing their own cases. Typical staffing for a case on appeal is one Assistant Corporation Counsel, as well as the Deputy and Chief Assistant Corporation Counsel. Division attorneys also provide advice to the trial divisions on appellate issues and, at times, on legal issues on which the Division has considerable experience. Appeals attorneys generally do not specialize in a particular subject matter but handle the full range of appellate issues, including labor and employment, torts, civil rights, tax and revenue, regulation, issues arising under ordinances and statutes, and other cases involving city government and programs.
The following information should not be considered exhaustive. Interested applicants should read the full posting found at www.cityofchicago.org/careers (Job Number: 1673-3007A-2017).
Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school with a Juris Doctor degree in or before 2014 and admission to the Illinois Bar (or eligible for admission on motion to the Illinois Bar pursuant to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 705).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Involvement in at least one of the following activities in law school: moot court; law review; law journal; clinical experience; or judicial externship or internship;
- Superior academic achievement, as reflected by measures such as grade-point average, class rank, honors, or rigor of the particular law school;
- After graduation from law school, demonstrated interest in appellate practice, as evidenced by at least a one-year appellate clerkship or research position with an appellate court, or having participated in briefing at least two appellate cases;
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze complex issues;
- Organized and clear writing style;
- Strong oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with colleagues and supervisors; and
- Strong commitment to public service and some familiarity with municipal issues.
Application Process and Materials
There is a two-step application process for this position. All application materials are due on or before December 19, 2017.
Step One: You must submit an on-line application along with your resume at www.cityofchicago.org/careers by December 19, 2017.
Step Two: In addition to the on-line application, and regardless of whether such materials were uploaded with your on-line application, the following materials must be submitted in hard copy to City of Chicago Department of Law’s Legal Recruiter, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 1640, Chicago, IL 60602:
- Cover letter that (1) includes the position title and job number as noted on the posting; and (2) specifically identifies how you meet the minimum qualifications and have the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below;
- Law school transcript (official or unofficial);
- Two writing samples; and
- Current printout of your attorney registration status from the Illinois ARDC website at www.iardc.org (or your admitted state bar’s equivalent).
Failure to submit all materials will result in your application not being considered for the position.
NOTE REGARDING SUBMISSION OF MATERIALS: The foregoing materials must be submitted in person (interoffice delivery of application materials will not be accepted) or received via U.S. Mail or another similar mailing method (e.g., FedEx, UPS, DHL) at the address noted above on or before December 19, 2017; late submissions shall result in your application not being considered for the position. Should you wish to confirm receipt of your materials, please use a traceable delivery method.
NOTE REGARDING ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: Please do not submit references with your hard copy materials. Please do not send to us any materials other than those we have specifically requested above. Submission of references and/or additional materials with your hard copy materials other than what is specifically requested above shall result in your application not being considered for the position.
Please note that the submission deadline for BOTH the online application and the hard-copy material is December 19, 2017.
NOTE REGARDING QUESTIONS: If you have any questions regarding how to apply, please contact the Department of Human Resources. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, the Recruiting and Personnel Sections in the Department of Law are not able to take or return emails or phone calls seeking any information pertaining to the position or the process. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Chicago Department of Law.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.cityofchicago.org/careers →