Website City of Champaign
The City of Champaign seeks experienced candidates for the position of Assistant City Attorney in the Legal Department. In this position, you will join an in-house legal team that works closely with all City Departments in a wide variety of legal areas. The City has a Council-Manager form of government.
Responsibilities of Position
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: advising government officials regarding civil legal areas and areas of local government law; managing, evaluating, and trying cases, including ordinance enforcement, small claims, worker’s compensation, and civil defense; evaluating and preparing written legal opinions; preparing and reviewing legal documents, including those related to contracts, legislation, real estate and other areas of municipal regulation; contract development, review and negotiation, including labor negotiation; real estate transactional work; and supervising or managing employees.
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois.
• Superior interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Legal research expertise.
• Substantial recent experience in a broad range of municipal law or closely related governmental or civil matters, or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
• Experience negotiating or drafting contracts.
• Broad range of skills in real estate, real estate development and eminent domain.
• Experience in ordinance prosecution and/or other high volume litigation areas, such as collections.
• Litigation experience including civil or administrative litigation (including worker’s compensation) and civil appeals (not prosecution or small claims).
• In-house legal experience.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary range is $81,944 – $93,231, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter must be submitted online no later than Sunday, July 24, 2016.